LEAD PAINT RISK ASSESSMENT
As far as Lead Paint Screening and Testing is concerned, the usual visit charge is $150 and an additional $15 per swab. Typically, there are 1 to 2 swabs per room for a total of about 10 to 12 for a 3 level row home. We can have results in 5 to 7 days not including the weekend. The rules on lead paint testing are simple: you are either “lead free” or “lead safe”. Here is the difference:
- Lead Free: this is for newer homes built after 1978 or homes that were lead remediated during rehab. This is a big deal and generally you know if you are lead free because you never have to be inspected again once found lead free. To get lead free can be very expensive.
- Lead Safe: (99% of older homes) this is the more practical version of lead control. Lead safe means that there is no exposure to lead because the lead is encapsulated in paint or by using other methods. If you are “lead safe”, every time you change tenants, you must be tested again. Lead screening involves making sure that there is no chipping or peeling paint and then testing to Maryland Department of the Environment guidelines. I can offer you the same type of preparation tips as I give for rental inspections.
- Advance Notice: I need 24 to 48 hours advance notice to do a lead inspection. MDE requires us to notify them of our inspection activities 24 hours in advance.
Lead Paint Screening and Testing
- Tracking Number: Before I can do an inspection, you need to get an MDE Tracking Number by calling 800-776-2706 or 410-537-4199. You can usually get the number on the spot. Just have that available at the time of inspection.
- Preparation for Lead Testing: There are two areas where the landlord needs to focus to get ready to pass a lead test:
- Chipping and Peeling Paint: There can be no chipping or peeling paint inside or outside of the house. A visual inspection will tell us whether or not we can do the sampling. After November 1, a Winter Exception can be given for chipping or peeling paint because paint will not cure when it is too cold. The Winter Exception also means that you will have to have the outside of your property reinspected after April 1st of the following year for a nominal charge ($50)
- Cleaning: Clean floors, window sills and window wells in advance of the sampling. Unclean surfaces are a common cause for failure.
- If You Fail: If you fail, retesting of the failed areas is required with in 30 days of the original test date. There is a trip charge of $50 plus $15 per swab.
- Field Blanks: The MDE requires that each sample set also have a “Field Blank” included. This is a control sample that is completely sanitary to insure the integrity of the sampling.
- Landlords must have a Full Risk Assessment every time they change tenants.
We offer combination pricing if you do lead and rental inspection together. We will only charge $75 for the lead inspection visit and to cover the costs of the paperwork and only $12 per swab for lab fees. Feel free to fill out a contact form or contact us on Facebook.